Wednesday, February 4, 2009

which came first...the left or the right?


Obviously, the right knee happened first. I was 12 and was popped up on a trampoline and came down very very wrong. A piece of my knee bone chipped off and got lodged in my knee forcing it to stay bent. I had surgery and was put in a cast from my toes to my hip. I can't remember how long I was in that thing, but for sure a long time! I don't remember a lot of the physical therapy and how long it took to get it back to "normal". Then, one year ago today I had an accident that I remember very clearly. One last push and the car would be unstuck from the snow. I was giving it my all and the minute I stepped down my whole knee cap blew to the outside of my leg. (sorry, that is very disgusting to think about, I apologize if it gave you a bad mental picture). An ambulance ride and a visiting to the ER later my knee cap was popped back into place and from there I saw a specialist. This time part of my knee cap broke off and was making it so I couldn't put weight on my leg. So another surgery later and now my knees have symmetry! I remember quite clearly the pain and all the details of the physical therapy. I think the hardest part was that it happened 3 weeks before Andy was deployed, the surgery only happening days before he left. It was so hard to say goodbye to him and not be able to stand up and give him a hug. I was overwhelmed with the unknown and how I was going to take care of a 3 year old when I couldn't even get myself off the couch. I can't begin to express the gratitude I have for my parents. I stayed with them for 3 months while my knee healed. My dad help push me with my therapy and was there with loads of encouragement. My mom taught Sadie some awesome songs while driving in her truck (PINK...Who Knew?) Sadie adores her grandparents and I know their bond grew closer because of their sacrifice and willingness to give. Thanks mooter and daddy-o, I LOVE YOU! And thanks to everyone who helped out during this past year. It hasn't been easy but I am so grateful for all the support, love, kindness and friendship I have received. I can't believe in 24 days (give or take) I will be able to walk and stand and give Andy the biggest hug ever. I'll just have to beat Sadie too it, better start practicing my running!

5 comments:

Jason & Claire said...

Oh my goodness! You are such a woman! I'm so glad you are getting your hubby home and you will be able to stand up and give him the biggest hug ever!

Ali said...

I'm all about balance and things being in proportion too, but i think you went a little far this time! haha.

The Jbird, Hugs, and Bfran Gang said...

Grandpa Kim put Brenna in her car seat tonight after spending the evening with him. The first thing she says as her seat belt is getting fastened is "um momma? how bout tomorrow on saturday we go to chuck e cheeses. With andy. Andy will be home on saturday."

He better mark his calendar!

Marcie Tess said...

You are such an amazing person! I am happy you are up and moving now :) I bet you are so excited for Andy to get home. We are excited for you.

TeamDall said...

Jess, that sucks. But I'm really glad I could be there for you during your time of trial. Just kidding, that was supposed to be a joke. But it's great that Andy will be home soon. Give our best to my favorite home teacher:)